Sunday, July 14, 2013

My Thrifted Closet: The beginning

A year ago (almost to the day) I found myself going through my closet. I realized that I was gaining more and more thrifted pieces. It made me feel good to know that not only was I saving money (and yes, if you buy quality thrifted garmets, you are saving a butt-ton.. not a ton, a butt-ton) but I was saving clothing that may otherwise land in a landfill because it was disgarded.

You see, I wasn't always on this thrifting train. I'm sure that one day I'll track everything back to when I first discovered the greatness that was the goodwill, but for now lets just bask in the glory that is second hand refashions. 

I plan to detail my closet in this blog. I'm not sure in what capacity this will happen, as I don't have a huge closet (or budget), but I feel like this is a voice that needs to be heard. It breaks my heart when I hear people say that they can't shop at a thrift store because _____________________ [insert any form of excuse: size, quality, smell, yuck factor.]

I think all of the above are non-issues with the proper amount of patience and determination. To go back to my original statement, I set out then to by this time this year, have a close that was 70% thrifted, and by a year from this year, be 100% thrifted, refashioned or homemade. I'm proud to say that I am at that 70%. I'd actually go as far to say that it's closer to 80%. 

I hope that you find something in this little part of the internet that helps you, changes you, or helps to start your own journey. 

I've got many ideas for this thing. I want to do OOTD's (Outfit of the Day), Refashions, Tutorials, as well as stories that help you along your way. I'm not sure what will happen, but I don't want to force it. I want to be a light at the end of the tunnel for someone. I want to help you save money and open your eyes to a whole new way of life! I hope that through this new adventure we can learn and grow with each other.. and I hope that by next year at this time I can post and say that My Thrifted Closet is at 100%!

No comments:

Post a Comment